Tuesday, September 2, 2014

An Aristotelian Analysis of a Video

Upon hearing about this assignment a video came to my mind that I have watched a few times in the last few years. As a heads up, the link to the video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJHt-m3VX6o
One reason this video seemed like a good fit is that it has a clear message, it's understandable and incredibly relate-able for me. I was homeschooled until my senior year when I went to an online High School.

The guy who is sending the message in this video graduated from being homeschooled. He seems like a guy who would be fun to talk with because of the way he presents himself and his sense of humor.

 His credibility is established by showing how he went through the issues that he brings up in the video. These are common problems for homeschooled students as I also had all of these issues brought up to me regularly. Those of us who have also been homeschooled can relate to these experiences which proves that he actually does know what he is talking about. On top of his personal experience in this area, he leads us to believe what he says is true from his delivery method.

The audience for this video is slightly varied. The main point of this video is education and comedy. He is trying to communicate that these common misconceptions are not necessarily true for students who may know homeschool kids, parents looking into homeschooling and for parents and students who are a part of the homeschool community. I believe that is why he not only presents the facts but he does so in a humorous way.

This video is just a portion of the negativity towards the homeschool community. As much as I wanted to go to public school in High School (I was not allowed), I did thoroughly enjoy Homeschooling. My teachers at BlueSky (my online High School) said that most often Homeschool students and young moms were their best students. I was both.

 But, back on point. People do not understand what Homeschooling is all about. The whole "real school" term is not only demeaning to the work that students do daily, it is uneducated. Education is education. The location of such is irrelevant. Homeschooling is a legal way to educate your children, and is a right to American parents. I feel that it should be honored as such, even though it currently is not in many cases.

 This is one of the many reasons that I like this video! The creator uses facts and his experience to appeal to the audiences. His demeanor shows that he is clearly not shy or anti-social and that alone debunks the classic line of "you must not be socialized." For us homeschooler's who are watching, he connects with us with the emotions we encountered on a regular basis. We were all assumed to be shy, anti-social or not socially "normal" (whatever that means!), and told we should go to regular school. He presents his facts in a logical order and gives, though humorous, examples of these situations. This also establishes his credibility. If someone who had never been homeschooled would have made a video for their friend who was, this would prove nothing. The pizzazz would not be there and credibility would be lost.

 My question for you as the reader is if you could relate to being on the other side of any of these situations? No judgement or accusations here, but I am curious if you have even thought of some of these scenarios.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for getting right on this assignment, Meg. Your structure here is really easy to read and follow; I didn't struggle to make sense of your analysis. There are a couple of sentences in the paragraph that begins "He verifies..." could use revision, though (I assume that, upon rereading, you can see what I mean).

    Here's the biggest test of any argument: if strong skeptics of homeschooling were to watch this video, do you think they would be convinced to reconsider their position, based on the argument and how it's made?

    ReplyDelete
  2. -
    A video like this is something that I can relate to. I went to catholic school, so some of the assumptions like, going to church seven times a week or being sheltered I personally could relate with. Although I did attend church twice a week & high-school was a LOT different than spending the day with a classroom of 15 people you've known since 1st grade. But it's not like I wasn't educated on sex, drugs, & other subjects just because my school was a bit more conservative, that responsibility was more left up to the parents instead of the school itself. (Nothing wrong with that.) Overall this video makes some good points while being lighthearted & goofy so the viewer doesn't get bored. Fun choice!

    ReplyDelete