Monday, September 29, 2014

The Curse of the Lego War Zone

     I love my children. I do. They are the most important thing in my life. As fantastic as they may be, they can be just as trying. This is especially true in the days immediately after getting them back from being at their dads house. An example of this would be my nearly 5 year old waking up 3 times in 3 hours. My thoughts immediately drift into "why won't you just SLEEP?! Am I the only one in this house who is incredibly tired? No? Apparently not..." After then, the 2 year old wakes up and the cycle continues. This is merely the beginning of my struggles so far this week.

     My sons are die hard Lego fans. They build extravagant buildings, (one they refuse to take apart is called the "library") take apart their mini-figures and make new characters such as Ninja turtle Spider-man, they even build personalized race-cars to race around my house. That being said, their creativity knows absolutely no bounds. It simply cannot be contained! For instance, it must spill out on the floor instead of staying inside of the Lego Star Wars case. It most definitely cannot stay simply on the table! The creativity must overflow onto the floor, all of the chairs and even in the walk ways surrounding the dining area. It also, most definitely cannot be put back into said Lego Star Wars case upon the completion of the creative moment.

     Do not be mislead, I love Lego! Building with Lego has many brain stimulating and educational benefits! Lego bricks create an excellent pass time that encourages imagination, creativity, independent thinking among other things. It also creates a war zone on your floor similar to having a million minuscule IED's waiting for you to step on them in order to reek havoc upon the feet of unsuspecting parents. If you have ever stepped on one I'm sure you will agree with me. 

     Not only is this grand pile of Lego bricks parading across my dining or living room slightly concerning to my poor feet, but the mere sight of it alone causes my anxiety to rise! Millions of Lego bricks scattered everywhere, and I mean everywhere. It makes my house look like a disaster! That is why the minute they are finished playing I open my mouth and ask for them to get onto the clean-up portion of playtime. They are great about picking up their toys, usually never a real problem. Maybe a round of "I don't wanna"s may come from their tiny little mouths but generally the battle is quickly won. Mom: 1, Children: 0. When it comes to picking up their land mines, though, they are incredibly hesitant. Hesitant is not even the right word. More defiant than the most stubborn of mule's sounds pretty spot on.

     Despite the stubbornness and inability to tidy up, I still continue to buy them more Lego sets. Perhaps I enjoy torturing myself?

     Don't mind me as I pretend to open a glass of wine and quietly sip away the head aches for today while I enjoy listening to them play together. This is what makes it all worth it in the end.

Accept what life offers you and try to drink from every cup. All wines should be tasted; some should only be sipped, but with others, drink the whole bottle.” 
― Paulo CoelhoBrida

3 comments:

  1. That final image is hilarious!

    As a mother of a boy, I nodded as I read this post. The amount of times I've had an underfoot Lego drill up into the soft pad of my foot is, well, countless. Of course, it always happens at 1 a.m., when I'm walking through the darkened house.

    What's most important about this post is that you manage to marry your rant and your love of your boys; both come through, loud and clear. You are annoyed, but you are full of love as you are annoyed. That's a very winning tone.

    In terms of giving a couple of tips, I'd note that you suddenly switch from first-person "I" to second-person "you" mid-post; it would be better to stick to "I." Also, if you type your posts in Word, you could benefit from the grammar flags that it would toss up, to alert you to problems. Then you could copy your text into a post here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the words of an e-card: "There are three levels of pain. Pain, excruciating pain, and stepping on a lego!"
    I really enjoyed your post, it kept me laughing to myself! My brother was a lego freak growing up, and I understand the chaos of lego explosions. My daughter has a small set of legos and they still end up stretching from one room to another. I can only imagine how many more legos there will be in my house once my son gets into them! I once came across this image, and I had to post it to my brother's wall:
    http://media.veryfunnypics.eu/2013/01/funny-picture-going-to-spank-me-good-luck-kid-with-floor-covered-with-lego.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel ya. Stepping on a lego is one of the worst things ever. Not to mention that they always can be found in the most unsuspecting places. I used to love playing with legos. However, there were never enough for my two siblings and myself. In other words, we combined legos with linkin logs, petshops, and the like. It was always a total mess, and we never wanted to wreck our game by cleaning it up. However, it kept us busy for hours on end. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete